Meet our team
The Pervasive Data Science Group employs postdocs and PhD/master students at the University of Helsinki and collaborates with international researchers to work on pervasive data science problems (e.g., sensing systems, mobile computing, Internet of Things, machine learning).
Professor, University of Helsinki, Finland
Petteri Nurmi is a Professor at the University of Helsinki where he also leads the Pervasive Data Science Group. He received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Helsinki in 2009. Prior to his current position, he has worked as a Lecturer at Lancaster University, United Kingdom in 2018. He has published over 130 articles and regularly publishes at leading flagship conferences and journals. He is also highly active in international and national collaboration. His research interests combine pervasive computing, Internet of Things, data science, and environmental monitoring.
Thi Ngoc Nguyen
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Helsinki, Finland
Thi Ngoc Nguyen is a Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of Helsinki. She received her Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the Singapore University of Technology and Design in 2021. Her research interests include multi-device sensing, artificial intelligence, pervasive computing and data science.
Researcher, University of Helsinki, Finland
Agustin Zuniga is a Doctoral researcher at the University of Helsinki. He completed his MSc at the University of Helsinki in 2018. His research interests include pervasive systems, AI and Internet of Things.
University of Helsinki, Finland
Jyrki Martti is a research assistant at the University of Helsinki. He received his MSc degree in Computer Science at the Helsinki University of Technology in 2002. He is now working also to complete his MSc at the Master’s Programme in Data Science at the University of Helsinki. His research interests include data science, federated learning and sensor calibration.
International and local collaborators
We are very active in national and international collaboration, participating in research policy, collaborative proposals, and most prominently academic publication activity. The collaborators include a mix of leading and established researchers and rising academics.
- Prof. Huber Flores (University of Tartu, Estonia)
- Prof. Sumi Helal (Professor, University of Florida, USA)
- Prof. Zheng Wang (University of Leeds, UK)
- Prof. Moustafa Youssef (American University of Cairo, Egipt)
- Prof. Marko Radeta (University of Madeira, Portugal)
- Prof. Majiu Lehtiniemi (Finnish Environment Institute - SYKE, Finland)
- Prof. Markku Kulmala and Prof. Tuukka Petäjä (Institute for Atmospheric and Earth System Research - INAR, Finland)
- Dr. Matti Irjala (Aeromon Oy, Finland)
- Prof. Sasu Tarkoma, Prof. Pan Hui, Prof. Jukka Nurminen, Dr. Naser Hossein, Dr. Mohammad Hoque, Dr. Xiaoli Liu, Dr. Pranvera Kortoci MsC. Kasimir Aula , MSc. Rola Alhalaseh (University of Helsinki, Finland).
Recent and Past Collaborators
- Prof. Junehwa Song and Prof. Lik-hang Lee (Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology (KAIST), Korea)
- Prof. Michael Pecht (University of Maryland, USA)
- Prof. Nigel Davies (University of Lancaster, UK)
- Prof. Yong Li (Tsinghua University, China)
- Prof. Ella Peltonen (University of Oulu, Finland)
- Dr. Sourav Bhattacharya (Senior Researcher at Samsung Research, Cambridge)
- Dr. Eemil Lagerspetz (Senior Software Developer at Starship, Finland)
- Dr. Teemu Pulkkinen (Doctoral student, University of Helsinki, Finland)
- Dr.Samuli Hemminki (Doctoral student, University of Helsinki, Finland)
- MSc. Xin Li (Research Assistant, University of Helsinki, Finland)
- MSc. Titti Malmivirta (Research Assistant, University of Helsinki, Finland)
Publications and projects within past five years: